RIMA International is constantly striving to develop and grow the reflective insulation, radiant barrier, interior radiation control coating (IRCC) and reflective fabrics industries and be a reliable resource of accurate information.
Some of RIMA-I’s accomplishments include:
- Involved on a national level in code development at ICC and ASHRAE
- Established the Advanced Building Code Coalition to work together with other organizations on building codes (www.advancedbuildingcodecoalition.org)
- Adopting and/or writing test methods of our own to meet industry needs
- Conduct symposiums and workshops at other industry association trade shows
- Hosting the International Reflective Insulation Manufacturers Conference (I-RIM Conference) held every two years in various locations around the world
- Work with various energy rating software entities to unify how reflectives are calculated in building simulations.
- Worked with Koffel and Associates on code strategies, developments and at hearings
- Created the Verification Program to verify product testing
- Develop a test method for corrosivity of metallized surfaces
- Research how to better test degradation of films
- Active participation in:
– ICC Code Hearings
– Building America
– Energy Star
– Fraunhofer Project to Update AtticSim
- Developing new Technical Bulletins on specific industry issues
- Participating in Federal Standards formation
- Aided in the development of Department of Energy, “Energy Fact Sheet on Radiant Barriers” and the Department of Energy, “Energy Handbook on Reflective Insulation”.
- Developed an AIA Accredited Course on the industry to educate Architects and Engineers.
- Participate on RESNET’s Technical Committee on Insulation
- Maintain a presence through RIMA-I’s Facebook page as well as hosting multiple LinkedIn groups and participation in other industry-related groups
- Gained acceptance for sale of reflective insulations and radiant barriers in the state of California.
- Gained approval for truss mounted radiant barriers in California.
- Providing articles and information to several industry trade magazines on a variety of topics
- Contributed data that led to approval of radiant barriers and energy code credits in Florida.
- Contributed technical papers to various seminars and workshops sponsored by the Department of Energy, ASHRAE, TVA, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, as well as a number of building and insulation industry associations.
- Participated in national/international conference offering workshops and educational materials & training.
- Established cooperative arrangement with Australia and the UK.
- Established a presence as ’the voice’ for the reflective insulation, radiant barrier and IRCC industries.
- Staying involved in all aspects of the industry and providing information and resources to professionals and consumers alike to help guide and educate on behalf of the industry.
As always, RIMA-I will continue to be your watchdog for the industry, protecting member interests. A lot has been done, but there is still much to do. Together we can continue to drive the industry forward.
RIMA members have and are serving on many committees that involve Federal, State, Manufacturer organizations/societies such as:
ASTM C16.21 Committee
Provides leadership in the development of industry standards for reflective insulation, radiant barriers and interior radiation control coatings.
RIMA-I members are active participants in the ASTM C-16.21 sub-committee and task groups on Reflective Insulations, Radiant Barriers and Interior Radiation Control Coatings. Their role is vitally important in establishing standards for testing and evaluating materials and installation procedures.
D.O.E. Insulation Committee
Participated in Federal standards formation. Our efforts contributed to development of an Energy Fact Sheet on Radiant Barriers, and the Energy Handbook on Reflective Insulation, as well as D.O.E. research papers on radiant barriers: Karns, Tenn. houses — Oklahoma field tests on radiant barriers — Ft. Benning field test on radiant barriers
Calif. Bureau of Home Furnishings Standards Comm.
Contributed to the Reflective Insulation section of the California standards. Gained acceptance for sale of reflective insulations and radiant barriers in the state of California.
California Thermal Conference
Contributed two papers on reflective insulation and radiant barriers.
California Energy Commission
Gained approval for truss mounted radiant barriers.
Florida Power & Light/University of Florida Seminars
Conducted seminar on radiant barriers.
TVA Radiant Barrier Workshops
Provided speakers, served as panel member, and presented papers that furthered work being done by TVA in concert with D.O.E. and Oak Ridge National Labs.
American Institute of Timber Construction Adhoc Committee on Moisture in Wood Roofs
Assisted in development of standard for installation of all types of insulation, including radiant barriers and reflective insulations, in commercial wood truss roofs.
Insulation Contractors Association of America Tech Committee
Served as Technical Panel Member and contributed to the development of Bulletin #18 on reflective insulation and radiant barriers. Participated at the regional level — Atlanta and Orlando Chapters. Wrote ICAA Fact Sheet.
Building Thermal Envelope Coordinating Council
Participated in for a year.
Annual International Conference on Thermal Insulation
Presented a paper on reflective insulations and radiant barriers.
Rural Builders Association
Active member for several years. Contributed two papers and served as panel members on a number of insulation workshops at annual conventions. Presented papers and articles for publication in Association magazine.
Colorado Thermal Insulation Association
Participated in for four years. Contributed to the Reflective Insulation section of the Colorado Thermal Insulation Standards.
Florida Department of Community Affairs
Contributed data that led to approval on radiant barriers.
Conducted several workshops over the past five years educating on the benefits and uses of reflective insulation, radiant barriers and IRCCs.
National Frame Builders Association
Served as panel leaders on roundtable discussions and conducted workshops on reflective insulations and radiant barriers. Members served and are currently on Board of Directors.
Presented paper for publication in Association magazine.
Supported local state associations.
ASHRAE – DOE – BTECC Conferences
Contributed to the technical program on “Thermal Performance of the Exterior Envelopes of Buildings I-V”, sponsored by all three groups.
RIMA-I members have contributed to articles that have appeared in many magazines and newsletters such as: Builders Magazine, Journal of Light Construction, Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, Architecture Magazine, RSI, Energy Design Update, Florida Builder, Contractors Guide, Practical Homeowner, Rural Builder Magazine, Frame Builder Professional, Metal Construction News, Metal Architecture, Construction Specifier, Construction Specifier Canada.
RIMA-I continues to work with many of the organizations, societies, associations, and governmental agencies to gain further acceptance of reflective products and help establish standards that promotes their best use.